This project is part of an Initiative for support of vulnerable families to overcome difficulties in the context of the pandemic. It is implemented under the We Care project, aiming to improve infant and maternal health outcomes of Roma communities in Bulgaria. Within the Initiative, the TSA supports 295 families from 8 locations in Bulgaria. Designed in two phases, the Initiative includes:
- Provision of direct support to low-income families with children up to 3 years old;
- Advocacy for sustainable solutions in long-term: improvement of policies and social measures in support of most excluded families and young children;
- Community participation.
The association implements the initiative in Bratsigovo town. As a result of all imposed measures to combat the outbreak of the virus in the country, the Roma families living in Bratzigovo and Pazardzhik, who are with already low, unstable, or irregular income, are losing any opportunity to generate some monthly or even daily income to meet their basic needs. The families in these cities include young children (under the age of 3) and pregnant women, who are among the most vulnerable social groups, exposed to malnutrition and living under poor hygienic conditions. The organization will support 30 families at risk.
Key Project Activities:
- Direct support to low-income families and infants – provision of specific products to address identified urgent needs of pregnant women and children up to 3 years for the period of 4 months, with a budget of 40 BGN per family - provision of drugs, based on medical prescription; food packages in support of regular and adequate nutrition; masks, disinfectants, and other hygienic agents; daily care products for infants, etc.;
- Covering costs related to accessing health services during pregnancy of uninsured pregnant women (payment of medical examination, including test costs in case of complication during pregnancy of uninsured women, living in poverty);
- Raising awareness on preventative measures for protection from the pandemic;
- Advocacy, community empowerment and participation;